Sunday, September 27, 2009

History of Photography







So in my Digital Media class we were taken to a gallery to learn about the techniques to take photography used decades ago! I learned that the first photo took over 8 hours to take the picture! Imagine having to wait 8 hours today to take a picture. I know I'm completely used to the few seconds it takes on my Nikon. Anyway one of the techniques I found facinating was Cyano type. Its a process where the end result is tinted in blues/greens. I actually found a site that tells you how to make Cyanotypes.



"Before you start, get all the items you need together.
25 grams of Ferric ammonium citrate (green)
10 grams of Potassium ferricyanide
Water (distilled if possible)
Scale or measuring spoons
Measuring jug
3 glass containers for mixing ingredients
Plastic spoons
Face mask (DIY style)
Goggles
Rubber gloves
Apron or old shirt
Newspaper to cover work surface
Cleaning cloth
Brushes or coating rod
Clothes pegs (plastic)
Washing line or rope (plastic)
Art paper or fabric for coating
Glass or a contact print frame
Sunshine or a UV light source "












It is a cool example of a cyanotype in my opinion

1 comment:

  1. That cyanotype is beautiful. I want to take beautiful pictures like that and make them into cyanotypes! It has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete